Parents » LSC MINUTES

LSC MINUTES

Feb 11, 2019 - LSC Minutes:

Local School Council Minutes /Consejo Escolar Local

In attendance: / En sistencia:Parents /Padres: Ada Fernandez (chair), Claudia Santiago, Diane Lopez, Candida (Pati) Morales Teachers/ Maestros: Raquel Hallm-Watanabe, Eduardo Pineda

Non-teaching Staff/ Personal: Jessica Hurtado

Community Representatives/ Representantes de communidad: Rizwaan Akhtar, Ruth Stine

Principal/Director: Kenneth FitznerNot in attendance/ No en asistencia : Rosa Román

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chair Ada Fernandez opened the meeting at 5:05 p.m.

Ada asked for approval of the minutes. Mr. Pineda made a motion, and Ms. Hallm-Watanabe seconded. Committee approved the motion.

LSC Discussion from Public Comments:

A training for teachers on helping children diagnosed with ADHD was offered last year at Reilly with special education teachers only. Diane asked what the process is for adding IEPs or identifying students that need help. Mr. Fitzner responded that the process for school’s beginning IEPs was too long to share in the LSC meeting. Rizwaan asked if an additional issue is that many children are undiagnosed; Mr. Fitzner responded that teachers report issues but are not encouraged to diagnose. Ada asked what happens if a parents are not involved in diagnosing. Raquel clarified that teachers can document, and the teachers and parents, nurse, counselor, and psychologist to diagnose as a team to rule out other issues. Diane requested that the teachers be consulted so that the scale and scope of helping students with ADHD can be better understood.

Follow up:

Mr. Fitzner will check with Office of Diverse Learners or through partner training, bring recommendations back to LSC for possible trainings for teachers for students with ADHD.

Ms. Hallm-Watanabe  and Mr. Pineda will survey teachers at PPLC meeting to understand current status and expertise for teachers helping students with ADHD in the classroom.

Add to agenda for March meeting: Follow up on request for information on training for teachers on ADHD in the classroom

Ms. Pineda – Communication has improved to address concerns about cold and administration has made accommodations to allow children to enter the building early during extremely cold days; the sidewalks are being kept clean so children can go between the building safely. She noted that Mr. Fitzner is now being recognized by students as a leader in the school.

PPLC – Ms. Hallm-Watanabe reported that on January 28th the PPLC met with Mr. Fitzner. The PPLC requested and was granted a team building activity during a teacher training day.

  • Administration Presence at the Branch Building: Teachers requested administration presence 100% of time at the branch building; increased from 80% of time. Mr. Fitzner cannot guarantee the extra 20%; if Mr. Fitzner is unavailable to address a disciplinary action in the main building (if he is meeting with parents or offsite) the assistant principal must be present to address it. There is a protocol for additional staff to replace the administrators in the branch building when they are called away.
  • Diane noted that she has experienced doors of the branch building being unlocked and unmonitored after school hours have begun. Mr. Fitzner will inquire about standard safety protocols being followed consistently.
  • Mr. Fitzner and Jessica reminded the LSC that the main school has capacity for the students at the branch but it would impact the school staffing and budget from CPS. This option has been considered before, but because of unknown budget impacts (the budget for building would simply go back to CPS, not reinvested in main building classrooms) the decision was made to keep the classes in the branch building.
  • Dean update: Ms. Coronado plans to return in the role of Dean in the beginning of the FY19-20. Diane requested a list of non-teaching staff members and what their roles are; and requested a share of protocol to cover security issues during Ms. Coronado’s absence.

Follow up:

Mr. Fitzner will share the protocol for replacing administration presence at the branch building, and the former back-up plan for moving branch students back to the main building.

Behavioral Health Team – Mr. Pineda reported that Lutheran Social Services has provided a counselor to serve students. For all grades. BHT also provides “peace circles” and other de-escalation practices for the school. The capacity for this program is 7-8 students.

(Speaker) – President of Bilingual Advisory Committee. They’ve had two meetings this year; including attending a meeting about report cards and attendance as priorities for students. Ada clarified it is a parent’s run program that meets four times a year, with the goal of helping bilingual parents and their students at Reilly. There are six members of the committee.

No Child Left Behind/ESSA – led by Rosa, who was not present. Current activities include 8-10am sessions on Tuesday and Thursday, nutrition class 8-10 on Monday.

Principal’s Report: - read directly from written report, delivered at 3:17pm on Monday, February 11.

Mr. FItzner reviewed the budget transfers and check requests at $1,000+ - shared via email at 4:04 pm on Monday, February 11.

Budget transfers:

  • ESP bucket - $3,000 transfer was over the $1,000 approved. There is $2,000 in a “pointer line” or “holder.”

Diane noted that the LSC had previously allocated only $1,000 to the ESP fund. Mr. Fitzner was questioned about the additional $2,000, or what the benefits were, based on the LSC previously approving only $1,000 as a transfer to the ESP bucket. When asked if the $1,000 had already been used, Mr. Fitzner said no. Diane requested a full budget report, not just the transfers and check requests, be provided to the LSC at each meeting. Ruth requested that these materials be provided a week in advance of the meeting so that questions can be addressed beforehand if necessary.

Moving forward, Mr. Fitzner will provide a budget report at each LSC meeting.

  • ELA Toolkit - $2,511.38 – pays for three sessions for the administrator to provide three training sessions for unit writing. Under Unit 4 budget, he comes during teacher development days. This will provide additional training and work to take advantage of the network training.
  • NCLB/ESSA - $950 – This is covering workshops. These funds can be used for food, supplies, training, parent programs (ESL, workshops), and some trips. This money is allocated by the NCLB committee; Mr. Fitzner recommends a budget at the beginning of the year and the committee members decide to accept or adapt it.  

Checks for Requisitions:

  • $3,426 – uniforms as well as clothing basics and underclothes for students, 4-6 items per item, which is focused on homeless students.
  • $3,426 + $3,691 = payment from fundraising for Washington D.C. trip.

Chaperones for Washington D.C. trip are included in the package of the trip; Ada inquired if anyone from the school is going to be paid to substitute for teachers or staff on the trip. Mr. Fitzner said there are no instances of this.

Rizwaan first moved to approve all transfers and check requests, Mr. Pineda seconded. Candida and Ruth opposed. The motion to approve budget transfers and check requests did not pass.

Ruth pledged to contact Mr. Comacho for additional budget information and training.

Diane requested a copy of the budget at the beginning of the year and the “living and breathing” CIWP, and requested to have a central file on hand for all shared documents (currently using documents) Diane also raised the question of an LSC budget and requested that the LSC discuss it at the next meeting, stressing concern for security if the LSC is saving shared documents on Google rather than a private server.

Mr. Fitzner will share the CIWP and the originally approved FY18-19 budget.

Diane will add these to the Google Drive folder already begun by Mr. Pineda.

Additional items:

    • Pati brought forward and issue with people entering or driving through school grounds; Mr. Fitzner noted that the custodians need to close a gate to make sure people are not driving through.
    • Pati asked if there can be a parent hired to assist with walking students from the main school to the branch. Ada qualified that the school could not hire someone for this; it is a Chicago Police Department issue.
    • Diane clarified that there is a parent position open on the LSC.
  • Mr. Pineda will continue to record the minutes and make them available as required.
  • Ruth will draft minutes and circulate/post
  • Claudia will assist with translation.
  • Ruth will reach out to Mr. Comacho to ask what additional training for recording and supplying minutes.
  • Rizwaan volunteered to help with updating the LSC page on the school website.
  • Rizwaan also volunteered to create a more living/breathing CIWP.
  • LSC could not find a time for all to meet to work on the Principal’s evaluation, and resolved to find a time via email.

Saturday coffee with the principal is set for Saturday, February 16th – Diane completed the PPT.

Mr. Fitzner would like to start a marketing committee for the school, and encouraged the LSC to recommend people that could volunteer their time to help.

Ms. Hallm-Watanabe made a motion to close the meeting, motion passed. The meeting closed at 7:15pm.

Consejo Escolar Local

 

En Asistencia:

Padres: Ada Fernandez (chair), Claudia Santiago, Diane Lopez, Candida (Pati) Morales

Maestros: Raquel Hallm-Watanabe, Eduardo Pineda

Personal: Jessica Hurtado

Representantes De Communidad: Rizwaan Akhtar, Ruth Stine

Director: Kenneth Fitzner

No en asistencia : Rosa Román

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Presidenta Ada Fernandez  abrio la junta a las 5:05 p.m.

Ada  pidio aprobacion de minutas. Sr. Pineda hizo mocion y Raquel hizo la segunda mocion. El  Committee voto para aprobar.

Comentarios Publicos:

El año pasado, en Reilly, se ofreció una capacitación para maestros sobre cómo ayudar a los niños diagnosticados con TDAH con maestros de educación especial. Diane preguntó cuál es el proceso para agregar IEP o identificar a los estudiantes que necesitan ayuda. El Sr. Fitzner respondió que el proceso para el inicio de los IEP de la escuela era demasiado largo para compartir en la reunión de LSC. Rizwaan preguntó si un problema adicional es que muchos niños no han sido diagnosticados; El Sr. Fitzner respondió que los maestros informan problemas pero no se los alienta a diagnosticar. Ada preguntó qué sucede si los padres no participan en el diagnóstico. Raquel aclaró que los maestros pueden documentar, y los maestros y los padres, la enfermera, el consejero y el psicólogo lo diagnostican como un equipo para descartar otros problemas. Diane solicitó que se consulte a los maestros para que se pueda entender mejor la escala y el alcance de ayudar a los estudiantes con TDAH.

Seguimiento:

El Sr. Fitzner consultará con la Oficina de Aprendices Diversos o, a través de la capacitación de socios, traerá recomendaciones al LSC para posibles capacitaciones para maestros para estudiantes con ADHD. La Sra. Hallm-Watanabe y el Sr. Pineda encuestarán a los maestros en la reunión de PPLC para comprender el estado actual y la experiencia de los maestros que ayudan a los estudiantes con TDAH en el aula.

Agregue a la agenda para la reunión de marzo: haga un seguimiento a pedido para obtener información sobre la capacitación para maestros sobre el TDAH en el aula

 

Sra. Pineda- La comunicación ha mejorado para abordar las inquietudes sobre el frío y la administración ha hecho ajustes para permitir que los niñosentren al edificio temprano durante los días extremadamente fríos; Las banquetas se mantienen limpias para que los niños puedan ir de manera segura al el edificio. Señaló que el Sr. Fitzner ahora está siendo reconocido por los estudiantes como un líder en la escuela.

PPLC- La Sra. Hallm-Watanabe informó que el 28 de enero, el PPLC se reunió con el Sr. Fitzner. El PPLC solicitó y se le otorgó una actividad de formación de equipo durante un día de capacitación de maestros.

  • Presencia de la administración en el edificio de la sucursal: Los maestros solicitaron la presencia de la administración el 100% del tiempo en el edificio de la sucursal; Incremento del 80% del tiempo. El Sr. Fitzner no puede garantizar el 20% extra; Si el Sr. Fitzner no está disponible para abordar una acción disciplinaria en el edificio principal (si se está reuniendo con los padres o fuera del sitio), el subdirector debe estar presente para atenderlo. Existe un protocolo para que personal adicional reemplace a los administradores en el edificio de la sucursal cuando se retiran.
  • Diane comento que ella ha experimentado que las puertas del edificio de la sucursal se desbloqueaban y no se controlaban después de que las horas escolares habían comenzado. El Sr. Fitzner preguntará acerca de los protocolos de seguridad estándar que se siguen constantemente.
  • El Sr. Fitzner y Jessica le recordaron al LSC que la escuela principal tiene capacidad para los estudiantes en la sucursal, pero que afectaría la dotación de personal y el presupuesto de la escuela de CPS. Esta opción ha sido considerada anteriormente, pero debido a los impactos desconocidos del presupuesto (el presupuesto para la construcción simplemente volvería a CPS, no se reinvertiría en las aulas del edificio principal) se tomó la decisión de mantener las clases en el edificio de la sucursal.

Actualización de Decano: La Sra. Coronado planea regresar en el papel de Decano al comienzo del FY19-20. Diane solicitó una lista de miembros del personal no docente y cuáles son sus funciones; y solicitó una parte del protocolo para cubrir los problemas de seguridad durante la ausencia de la Sra. Coronado.

Seguimiento:

El Sr. Fitzner compartirá el protocolo para reemplazar la presencia de la administración en el edificio de la sucursal, y el plan de respaldo anterior para trasladar a los estudiantes de la sucursal al edificio principal.

Equipo de salud del comportamiento- El Sr. Pineda informó que los Servicios Sociales Luteranos han proporcionado un consejero para atender a los estudiantes. Para todos los grados. BHT también proporciona circulo de paz y otras prácticas de desescalamiento para la escuela. La capacidad para este programa es de 7-8 alumnos.

(Comentario Publico) – Presidente del Comité Asesor Bilingüe. Han tenido dos reuniones este año; incluyendo asistir a una reunión sobre calificaciones y asistencia como prioridad para los estudiantes. Ada aclaró que es un programa dirigido por padres que se reúne cuatro veces al año, con el objetivo de ayudar a los padres bilingües y sus estudiantes en Reilly. Hay seis miembros del comité.

No Child Left Behind / ESSA- Dirigido por Rosa, quien no estuvo presente. Las actividades actuales incluyen sesiones de 8 a 10 am el martes y el jueves, clases de nutrición del 8 al 10 el lunes.

Reporte de Director: - leeido directamente del informe escrito, entregado a las 3:17 pm el lunes 11 de febrero.

El Sr. FItzner revisó las transferencias de presupuesto y las solicitudes de cheques a $ 1,000; se compartió por correo electrónico a las 4:04 pm el lunes 11 de febrero.

Transferencias de presupuesto:

ESP cubeta: la transferencia de $ 3,000 superó los $ 1,000 aprobados. Hay $ 2,000 en una línea "pointer line" o "holder"

Diane notó que el LSC había asignado previamente solo $ 1,000 al fondo ESP. Al Sr. Fitzner se le preguntó acerca de los $ 2,000 adicionales, o cuáles eran los beneficios, según el LSC que previamente aprobó solo $ 1,000 como transferencia al paquete ESP. Cuando se le preguntó si los $ 1,000 ya se habían usado, el Sr. Fitzner dijo que no. Diane solicitó un informe de presupuesto completo, no solo las transferencias y las solicitudes de cheques, se entregará al LSC en cada reunión. Ruth solicitó que estos materiales se proporcionaran una semana antes de la reunión para que las preguntas se puedan abordar de antemano si es necesario.

En el futuro, el Sr. Fitzner proporcionará un informe de presupuesto en cada reunión de LSC.

 

  • Kit de herramientas ELA:  paga tres sesiones para que el administrador proporcione tres sesiones de capacitación para la escritura de la unidad. Bajo el presupuesto de la Unidad 4, él viene durante los días de desarrollo docente. Esto proporcionará capacitación adicional y trabajo para aprovechar la capacitación de la red.
  • NCLB/ESSA - $950 – Esto cubre talleres. Estos fondos se pueden utilizar para alimentos, suministros, capacitación, programas para padres (ESL, talleres) y algunos viajes. Este dinero es asignado por el comité de NCLB; El Sr. Fitzner recomienda un presupuesto a principios de año y los miembros del comité deciden aceptarlo o adaptarlo.

Cheques para requisiciones:

  • $3,426 – uniformes, así como prendas básicas y ropa interior para estudiantes, 4-6 artículos por artículo, que se centra en estudiantes sin hogar.
  • $3,426 + $3,691 = Pago de recaudación de fondos para el viaje a Washington DC.

En el paquete del viaje se incluye Chaperones para el viaje a Washington DC; Ada preguntó si se le pagará a alguien de la escuela para que sustituya a los maestros o al personal en el viaje. El Sr. Fitzner dijo que no hay ejemplos de esto.

Rizwanna se movió primero para aprobar todas las transferencias y solicitudes de cheques, el Sr. Pineda lo secundó. Candida y Ruth se opusieron. La moción para aprobar transferencias de presupuesto y verificar solicitudes no fue aprobada.

Ruth se comprometió a contactar al Sr. Comacho para obtener información adicional sobre el presupuesto y capacitación.

Diane solicitó una copia del presupuesto al comienzo del año y

el "Condición y respiración" CIWP, y solicitó tener un archivo central a mano para todos los documentos compartidos (actualmente utilizando documentos) Diane también planteó la cuestión de un presupuesto de LSC y solicitó que el LSC lo discutiera en la próxima reunión, destacando la preocupación por la seguridad si el LSC está guardando documentos compartidos en Google en lugar de un servidor privado.

El Sr. Fitzner compartirá el CIWP y el presupuesto FY18-19 aprobado originalmente.

Diane los agregará a la carpeta de Google Drive ya iniciada por el Sr. Pineda.

Cosas Adicionales:

  • Pati presentó y emitió problemas con las personas que ingresan o conducen por el recinto escolar; El Sr. Fitzner observó que los conserjes deben cerrar una puerta para asegurarse de que la gente no esté conduciendo.
  • Pati preguntó si se puede contratar a un padre para que ayude a los estudiantes a caminar desde la escuela principal hasta la sucursal. Ada calificó que la escuela no podía contratar a alguien para esto; Es un asunto del Departamento de Policía de Chicago.
  • Diane clarifico que hay una posicion de padre abierta en el LSC.
  • El Sr. Pineda continuará grabando las actas y las pondrá a disposición según sea necesario.
  • Ruth redactará las actas y las distribuirá / publicará
  • Claudia ayudará con la traducción.
  • Ruth se estara al tanto al Sr. Comacho para preguntarle qué capacitación adicional para registrar y suministrar minutos
  • Rizwaan se ofreció como voluntario para ayudar a actualizar la página de LSC en el sitio web de la escuela.
  • Rizwaan también se ofreció como voluntario para crear un CIWP más vivo / respirable.
  • LSC no pudo encontrar un tiempo para que todos se reunieran para trabajar en la evaluación Principal, y resolvió encontrar un tiempo por correo electrónico.

El café del sábado con el director está programado para el sábado, 16 de febrero.

Diane completó el PPT.

Al Sr. Fitzner le gustaría comenzar un comité de mercadotecnia para la escuela y alentó al LSC a recomendar a las personas que podrían ofrecerse voluntariamente para ayudar.

La Sra. Hallm-Watanabe hizo una moción para cerrar la reunión, la moción fue aprobada. La reunión terminó a las 7:15 pm.